A Modest Review of RnR Grill

I think for this review I should begin with my first time at RnR as since, I have gone back countless times. My first time was during my orientation session before coming to the UNC. My mom and I had searched up and down Franklin St. looking for somewhere to get dinner that wasn’t too packed so we could talk. I remember her and I walking past the CVS plaza when she said, “Well lets try this place! RnR?”, motioning towards a small sign on the sidewalk. I agreed and we went looking for an entrance. Once through the doors of the restaurant, just up the ramp of the CVS plaza, we were greeted by James the server. We were immediately seated and handed dinner menus. A google search to RnR’s website will tell you they classify themselves as “classic american” food and a quick look at  the menu would probably confirm this. But once our appetizer came, cajun fried calamari, it was clear to me the quality of the food served here was definitely a step above the Friendly Chili TGI Friday feel of classic american. My whole family is from all over New England, so its safe to say I am no novice when it comes to good seafood and I am happy to say I was impressed by the quality of the calamari especially in the piedmont of North Carolina. The spices they used were absolutely delicious and at the same time not overpowering or overwhelmingly spicy as thought to be with some cajun dishes. Everything had a delicious balance. The pepper sauce that comes with these delicious little cephalopods is the perfect mix of hot flavor and creamy sauciness. Upon finishing the appetizer and partaking in some friendly conversation with James, a physics major at UNC, my mother decided on the Shrimp n Grits and I decided to go with a simple chicken ceaser salad. After a while of dipping the remaining morsels of cajun bread crumbs in the pepper sauce to satisfy my growing hunger our food came. I immediately dug into what was and remains to be today, the most delicious salad I have ever had. The lettuce was crisp and each bite tasted like what I imagine surfing in an ocean of VOSS brand water feels like. The lettuce to chicken to crouton to dressing ratio must have been derived by a mathematician. I naively sat eating my delicious salad thinking about how a meteor could hit the US right now and this would still be the best day of my life, but thats before I tried the shrimp and grits. Now if you’re going to order the shrimp and grits from RnR I feel like I should give you this disclaimer. Take off your socks before you try it, or else they’ll just be knocked off when you take that first bite. Seriously. The elderly couple next to me was not amused when my sweaty foot-mitts landed next to their bottle of wine. This Shrimp and Grits could put a stop to racism, it could end wars, it could swim to the bottom of the atlantic, find Osama Bin Laden’s dead body, resurrect him, and then kill him again. This restaurant deserves a Nobel prize because congrats I’m like 99% sure they found the cure for cancer.

Conclusion: RnR 10/10 would eat again. Blockbuster stuff right here. two thumbs so way up that they’re in God’s nose. You smell that God? Thats cajun spiced calamari.

5 thoughts on “A Modest Review of RnR Grill

1. Great little review. Really enjoyed the narrative in the beginning about you and your mom. I’ve never been to RnR, but after reading this, I’m definitely going to check it out. Caesar salads are my favorite, and my home town makes a pretty mean one. But if RnR’s caesar salad is anything like you described, I may have a new fav. I also really enjoyed the humor in this post. It was lighthearted, but I still got some really great, relevant information.

• Quick question- Is there a system that you used to rate RnR? I see you gave it a 10/10, but I am interested to see what that score is based off of.

2. This review was very personal and unique. It incorporated every aspect of what a food review should have, from talking about the service to describing the taste of the food. You did this is in a very humorous way that definitely made me want to go out and try this restaurant as soon as possible. I feel like a lot times, these little American grill places can be hit or miss, or they are all exactly the same. Your review made me feel like this would definitely be one of a kind, and worth it to go eat at. My only issue with this review is at the end you almost seem a little sarcastic because you are overly praising it. Is this what you were intending? If it was it can definitely go either way. It could be seen as a lot of passion for how much you liked this restaurant, or it could also be like you are almost making a joke out of the review making it lose credibility. Either way I think the review was overall very good and very convincing.

3. Hilarious Wyatt. A really funny review that makes me want to give this place a shot. I’ve walked past it a hundred times (usually at off hours so there’s never anyone there), but never had the guts to go it alone. Now I will. I think your post would benefit from some paragraph breaks so the info is more easily digested, and a picture or two would help as well.